RE: [transquery-discuss] XSLT as an XML update language

From: Chris Bayes (chris@bayes.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 10:03:19 CET

Evan,

> Cool! Way to keep up with our ramblings, Chris :)
>
> > <xsl:value-of select="tq:document('db/newdoc.xml', $doc)" /> Or
> > <xsl:value-of select="tq:document(tq:baseURI(.), $doc)" />
>
> Do you mean xsl:copy-of instead of xsl:value-of?

It doesn't really matter because

> > tq:document returns an empty string.
>
> Oh, are you saying that tq:document() does its work via side
> effects? Interesting... Ultimately, I think we'll want to
> avoid side effects!

Well if an empty string is a side effect... Let's face it an update
query will have rather large side effects on the database.

> > If you are doing a pure
> > update transform then there will be no output doc so you
> will get an
> > error
> > Because the output doc is empty. I'll fix that next year.
> For the time
> > being just make sure that there is a result or live with the error.
>
> My updated proposal (with no extensions!) should fix that
> problem (if only by outputting an empty root element). See
> the next email. Maybe you can incorporate this into Version 04 :)

I prefer this new solution because it avoids the need for tq:document
but I can't get around not using tq:baseURI

I was playing with it yesterday and bolted on a GUI which might make it
more popular. The command line method is still available as they both
use the same code. I'll make these changes and put it up later today.

Ciao Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml