RE: [transquery-discuss] XSLT as an XML update language

From: Evan Lenz (elenz@xyzfind.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 01:11:36 CET

Cool! Way to keep up with our ramblings, Chris :)

> <xsl:value-of select="tq:document('db/newdoc.xml', $doc)" />
> Or
> <xsl:value-of select="tq:document(tq:baseURI(.), $doc)" />

Do you mean xsl:copy-of instead of xsl:value-of?

> tq:document returns an empty string.

Oh, are you saying that tq:document() does its work via side effects?
Interesting... Ultimately, I think we'll want to avoid side effects!

> If you are doing a pure
> update transform then there will be no output doc so you will get an
> error
> Because the output doc is empty. I'll fix that next year. For the time
> being just make sure that there is a result or live with the error.

My updated proposal (with no extensions!) should fix that problem (if only
by outputting an empty root element). See the next email. Maybe you can
incorporate this into Version 04 :)

Evan