Re: [transquery-discuss] XSLT as an XML update language

From: Evan Lenz (elenz@xyzfind.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 16:09:09 CET

Bryan Rasmussen wrote:
> I'm personally agreed that avoiding extensions wherever possible is a good
> thing, so I was all for the alluded solution. Since this is the group
before
> the official establishment of a group I figure we're just coming up with a
> bunch of rough hunches, communal gut feelings as it were, as to how
> Transquery would be most useful, and what would be the problems for the
> official group to work through.

Yes, this is a fair characterization. What we *do* need to decide is whether
a TC's charter would include the specification of a processing model that
supports "in-place transformations" in order to provide support for update.
I would like to explore this further before committing to anything, because
I'm not sure there is an elegant solution out there or not. Also, how does
one go about simply adding a document to the repository? Is this anywhere
under XSLT's purview, or should it be vendor-specific (or part of another
API to determine)? If we had xsl:document, then it would seem obvious to use
that, but since we don't, the problem is harder.

Evan