Re: [transquery-discuss] An analogy

From: cutlass (cutlass@secure0.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 18:05:48 CET

----- Original Message -----
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xyzfind.com>

> Replace the bracketed portions above with "{http://www.xmlportfolio.com/transquery}input",
> "top-level parameters", and "multiple document input", and you'll have a
> good idea of what TransQuery's scope and intent is.

this is a perfect analogy

and i quess, in these days of bulky specs, that what one expects much more
.....though the basic tenet is that XSLT is well proven to be a query
language unto itself, realistically it may be an entry language as larger
commercial data use may require some more firepower. i think that Transquery
basic requirement is valid and should be addressed.

i think that the spec or faq should have a best practice section, that
includes the meta document example, instead of removing it.

another thought after reflection is that what Transquery may propose, on the
XSLT side of life, is a new element instead of plain vanilla <xsl:param/>
with namespace:name. too late for xslt2.0 but something to chew on
nonetheless.

reasons why ?
---------------

-XSLT processor vendors may want to internally optimise their handling of
document collections, a new element would allow for this.

-experience with the different methods of pumping in a param into xsl is
causing some compatibility
issues between different processors, and some rather sticky architecture
decisions come out of this, maybe some indirection would be useful a choice
between param and document() ???? in the form of an attribute select ?

- future enforcement of digital signatures or encrypt/decrypt may introduce
some opportunities, as the Transquery processor may be the right layer to
do apply credentials ?

if i put my EXSLT hat on what one could propose is possibly a top level
element;

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  xmlns:tq="http://www.xmlportfolio.com/transquery"
  xmlns:exslt="http://exslt.org/"
  xmlns:transquery="http://exslt.org/transquery"

  <transquery:input name="$tq:input" select="either document() or $xslparam
or no select element !"/>

 <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:copy-of select="$tq:input//purchaseOrder[paid='yes']"/>
  </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

oh well, things get complicated, just some random thoughts.

cheers, jim fuller