Re: [transquery-discuss] XSLT as an XML update language

From: Evan Lenz (elenz@xyzfind.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 08:46:38 CET

Bryan Rasmussen wrote:
> Here I have some logical misgivings, cause it seems to me you'd be
imposing
> restrictions on exsl:document, I mean that if someone has accessed the
> database via a web site, I could foresee a use for exsl:document, or
> xsl:document to dynamically write to a particular folder in the
filesystem.
> But then if the database is expecting xsl:document to update the document
> set?

I thought that exsl:document provided what you wanted with "save"
functionality. I would be comfortable with saying that a database
environment (or document repository environment, whatever) only has control
over its own environment--that queries that use exsl:document will be scoped
to this environment and will create documents in the database. If you want
to create documents on the filesystem, then use another XSLT processor (or
at least another processing model). I guess I might not understand what
possible contradiction you're seeing.

I'm interested in seeing your response to the non-exsl:document solution I
alluded to in the last paragraph or two of my email. Being able to avoid
requiring extensions would be a good thing, I think.

Evan